To Clarify all the basic Application Process, Admit Card, GATE 2017 Exam related queries, here are the Gate 2017 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
Application Process FAQs
1. How do I apply ONLINE?
Refer to Gate online application procedure and by visiting the website
2. Can I use one e-mail address to fill multiple application forms?
NO, one e-mail address can be used to submit only one application form.
3. Why should I choose three examination cities?
A candidate will most likely be allotted a centre in the examination city of his/her first choice. Only in cases where there are too many candidates opting for a certain city as their first choice, the other two choices shall be relevant. A candidate is required to fill his/her choices of cities to appear for the examination, but should remember that because of operational constraints, the GATE committee reserves the right to add a new city or remove an existing one, and allot a city that may not be any of the choices of a candidate.
For candidates from the six other countries, the Centers from that particular country shall be only one choice (by default) and these are: Abu Dhabi.Dubai (UAE), Addis Ababa (Ethiopia), Colombo (Sri Lanka), Dhaka (Bangladesh), Kathmandu (Nepal) and Singapore.
4. My power/internet connection failed during the application process, what do I do?
Please login to the GATE 2017 application website https://appsgate.iitr.ernet.in again and continue the application
5. Only SC/ST/PwD candidates have been asked to upload the category certificates. What about the OBC (non-creamy layer) candidates? Do they have to upload the category certificate too?
NO. Category certificate is required only to decide the rate for the application fee. As far as the GATE 2017 examination is concerned, only SC/ST/PwD candidates and all women candidates qualify for a reduced fee. That is the purpose of asking for the certificate. This aspect does not apply to candidates from Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Nepal, Singapore, Sri Lanka and UAE.
6. How do I make the fee payment for GATE 2017 examination?
There is a link to a payment gateway from the application process.
7. If I want the Online Payment (Net-banking) option, how should I complete the application process?
After filling all the fields in the ONLINE application form, choose the Online Payment option and proceed for payment by following the instructions.
- ) Your browser screen will re-direct you to the bank you choose. Login with your Internet Banking credentials and confirm the payment.
- ) After confirming the payment, you will be re-directed back to the GATE 2017 application website where you would be required to fill in all the details.
- ) At the end of this process, a PDF file will be generated with the following pages:
- Page 1: Application form with the necessary details of the candidates, like full name, date of birth (DoB), scanned photograph, scanned thumb impression, sex, category (GE/OBC/SC/ST), PwD (Y/N), full contact address, mobile number, email id, etc.
- Page 2: Bachelor degree certificate or previous semester/year grade sheet or mark sheet if you are in final year (depending on your eligibility status).
- Page 3: The uploaded caste certificate.
- Page 4: The uploaded PwD certificate.
- Page 5: Online payment details like your bank account number, bank name, transaction id, date and time of transaction, amount paid, etc.
- ) Save it or take a printout of the entire PDF file for your future reference/use.
8. My power/internet connection failed during online payment. What do I do?
When you can get back online, first check the status of your payment on the GATE application website.
a) If the payment was received by GATE, you can continue the process of printing the application form.
b) If the payment was not received by GATE, you have to start with the payment step again, to complete payment.
9. My net banking account has been debited (money taken out) more than once. How do I get the money back?
This can happen if your bank account was used more than once or you pressed refresh or back/forward button of your internet browser. Please check your bank account after 48 hours. Any unaccounted or excess money that was received on behalf of GATE 2017 from this account will automatically be returned (credited) to the same bank account.
10. My bank account has been debited (money taken out), but GATE Application website says that the payment has not been received. What do I do?
This happens because of some failure in internet transactions (including failure of internet connection at your end). As soon as possible, you MUST initiate a fresh payment process on the GATE application website, and make the payment again. The money that was debited (taken out) from your account in the first attempt, will be credited (put back) to your bank account within seven working days. You will be charged only once. Any excess/unaccounted debits will be returned to you.
11. If I want the e-challan option, how should I complete the application process?
If you select the e-challan option, then you will have to print the generated challan and will have to go to a branch of the State Bank of India and pay.
12. Do I have to send the print-out of the application form?
13. When and how will I know the status of my application?
You can check the status of your application by logging into GOAPS website.
14. After completing the ONLINE application process and generating a PDF file, will I be able to change my application data?
NO. After completing all the steps up to PDF application form generation in the ONLINE application process, you can only download the application form and CANNOT modify the data. Hence you need to be very careful while entering the data. You may also save a partially filled application and login in again at a later point in time to complete and submit the application, however it must be within the specified deadline.
15. I have missed to take a print-out of my ONLINE application at the end of my application process. How will I get access to it?
You can login using GOAPS Enrolment ID and password and take a printout if you want it for your own reference. The print out must not be sent to GATE organizing institute.
16: If I have not uploaded photograph not as per the specifications mentioned, will my application be rejected?
Yes, the application shall be rejected.
17. Which identification card numbers shall be accepted in application form?
Only numbers of the following identification cards shall be accepted: Passport, PAN card, Voter ID, Aadhaar UID, college ID, Employee Identifiction Card for Indian candidates and For International candidates, ONLY a valid Passport/ Government issued ID/College ID/ Employee ID/Driving License shall be accepted as the recognized identification.
18. Can I appear in any paper in GATE 2017?
The candidate is expected to appear in a paper appropriate to the discipline of his/her qualifying degree. The candidate can also choose any paper of GATE 2017, however, it is better to choose a paper in line with the eligibility criteria of the institutions in which he/she wishes to seek admission.
19. If I have completed the degree in 2016, but my Institute has still not provided me with the degree certificate/provisional certificate and also official mark sheet of 7th/8th semester is not available yet, which certificate should I upload as eligibility certificate?
You should either upload the filled and signed provisional certificate letter or upload the original 6th semester mark sheet issued by the Institute.
[[[GATE exams are primarily meant for candidates who have completed their degrees or are studying in final year (except in some 5 year integrated courses and AMIE etc.). Hence, candidates who have degree completion certificate can upload their degree certificate as eligibility criteria. In case, the degree certificate has not been issued at the time of application, if mark sheets of 7th or 8th semester are issued, one of the mark sheets can be uploaded as eligibility criteria. There shall be some candidates who have completed their degree, but do not have the degree certificate/provisional certificate/7th and 8th semester mark sheet, can upload 6th semester mark sheet as eligible criteria. Candidates with backlog papers but are studying in final year can also appear in GATE 2017. Candidates who completed degree (incomplete due to backlog papers) can upload course completion certificate/6th semester mark sheet or the provisional certificate letter.]]]
Admit Card FAQs
1. When will I receive my admit card?
Admit Card can ONLY be downloaded from the zonal GATE websites from 5th January 2017. Admit Cards will NOT be sent by post or as email attachment.
2. Is the Admit card alone sufficient to gain entry to the exam?
NO. The Admit Card has to be brought to the test center along with at least one original (not photocopied/scanned copy) and valid (not expired) photo identification, whose details have been entered while filling the application. ONLY one of the following photo identifications is permitted: Driving license, Passport, PAN Card, Voter ID, Aadhaar UID, valid College ID, Employee Identification Card or driving License. Candidates will not be permitted to take the exam if the original and valid photo identification is not presented.
GATE 2017 Exam FAQs
1. For how many GATE papers can I apply?
A candidate can apply for only ONE of the 23 papers listed in the GATE INFORMATION BROCHURE or GATE website. The choice of the appropriate paper is the responsibility of the candidate. Some guidelines in this respect are suggested below.
- The candidate is expected to appear in a paper appropriate to the discipline of his/her qualifying degree.
- The candidate is, however, free to choose any paper according to his/her admission plan, keeping in mind the eligibility criteria of the institutions in which he/she wishes to seek admission.
2. After submission of application, am I permitted to change my GATE Examination Paper?
Requests for change of GATE Examination paper after the submission of Application Form will not be considered.
3. After submission of application, am I permitted to change my GATE Examination City?
Requests for change of examination city will be accepted till 16thNovember, 2016 with a fee of 400/-(four hundred only) to be paid online using GOAPS.
4. Will I be provided with any white paper for rough work and calculations during the test?
A scribble pad will be provided to the candidate that can be used to do the rough work. The candidate has to return the scribble pad after the examination.
5. Am I allowed to leave the examination hall during the test?
NO. Candidates will NOT be allowed to leave the examination hall for any reason during the test. Candidates are allowed to leave the computer laboratory where the exam will be conducted only after the closure of the test at the scheduled end of examination in a session.
6. What items are not permitted to be brought with me inside the examination venue?
Only admit card, identification card and a pen shall be permitted to be taken by the candidate to be taken inside the examination hall. A simple wrist watch without any calculation device is permissible.
7. Can I use a physical calculator during the examination?
NO. During the online GATE 2017 examination, all candidates will be provided with a virtual scientific calculator which has to be used to answer the questions. No physical calculator will be allowed inside the examination hall. The same applies to mobile phones and wrist watches with calculation facility. GATE 2017 will not provide any storage space at examination locations for such objects. If a candidate brings personal belongings including mobile phones, those will have to be kept outside the examination hall at the candidate’s risk. If the candidate is found to be in possession (even if not using) of any calculator and mobile phone and wrist watch with calculation facility, he/she shall be disqualified and the result shall not be declared for the candidate.
8. Will there be any arrangement at the test center for the safe keeping of my personal items such as my mobile phone?
NO. Such arrangements will not be possible at the test center.
9. What happens if a physical calculator (even on an electronic watch) or a mobile phone (even in switched off mode) is found in my possession in the examination hall?
Such cases will naturally constitute violation of GATE 2017 rules and will lead to disqualification of the candidature. All such candidates were disqualified in GATE 2016.
10. What is a NAT question?
For Numerical Answer Questions of 1 or 2 marks each in all papers and sections, the answer is a real number, to be entered by the candidate using the virtual keypad. No choices will be shown for this type of questions. The answer can be a number such as 10 (an integer only). The answer may be in decimals as well, for example, 10.1 (one decimal) or 10.01 (two decimals) or 10.001 (three decimals). Wherever required and possible, it is better to give NAT answer up to a maximum of three decimal places.
Useful Links for Gate 2017 Exam:
You can follow this site for all the latest Gate 2017 books, materials, updates, tips etc.
If you have any doubts regarding Gate 2017 eligibility, visit Gate 2017 official website: Link
With one click you can share Gate 2017 Frequently Asked Questions with your friends. Stay tuned to receive Gate 2017 updates @gate2017exam.com. ( Book mark the page with Ctrl+D )
Note: The data put here is as mentioned in the Official brochure of the Gate 2017 by the Organizing Institute.